World Poetry Day is celebrated on the 21st of March each year, as declared by the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in 1999. This day is dedicated to celebrating the power and beauty of poetry, as well as promoting the reading, writing, and teaching of poetry worldwide. In this article, we will explore the significance of World Poetry Day and share some inspiring World Poetry Day quotes to commemorate this special day.
The Significance of World Poetry Day
Poetry is a form of literary expression that has been around for thousands of years. It has played a significant role in shaping cultures, traditions, and beliefs around the world. Poets have used their words to express their deepest emotions, convey powerful messages, and inspire change in society. World Poetry Day is a celebration of all of these aspects of poetry.
This day is an opportunity to recognize and appreciate the artistry and creativity of poets. It is also a chance to encourage the reading and writing of poetry, especially among younger generations. UNESCO believes that poetry can help to promote dialogue, foster social cohesion, and encourage creative expression. By celebrating World Poetry Day, we can help to spread this message and promote the importance of poetry in our lives.
World Poetry Day 2023 Quotes
To commemorate World Poetry Day 2023, we have compiled a list of inspiring quotes from some of the world’s greatest poets. These quotes capture the beauty, power, and significance of poetry, and remind us why this art form is so important.
- “Poetry is the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings: it takes its origin from emotion recollected in tranquility.” – William Wordsworth
- “Poetry is when an emotion has found its thought and the thought has found words.” – Robert Frost
- “A poem begins as a lump in the throat, a sense of wrong, a homesickness, a lovesickness.” – Robert Frost
- “Poetry is not a turning loose of emotion, but an escape from emotion; it is not the expression of personality, but an escape from personality.” – T.S. Eliot
- “Poetry is the language in which man explores his own amazement.” – Christopher Fry
- “Poetry is the art of creating imaginary gardens with real toads.” – Marianne Moore
- “Poetry is the rhythmical creation of beauty in words.” – Edgar Allan Poe
- “Poetry is the way we help give name to the nameless so it can be thought.” – Audre Lorde
- “Poetry is an act of peace.” – Pablo Neruda
- “A poem is never finished, only abandoned.” – Paul Valéry
These quotes highlight the diverse range of perspectives and styles that exist within the world of poetry. Some poets view poetry as a means of expressing powerful emotions, while others see it as a way to create beauty or explore the mysteries of the human experience. Regardless of the approach, each of these quotes underscores the importance of poetry in our lives.
Also Read: March Madness Quotes 2023
Ways to Celebrate World Poetry Day
There are many ways to celebrate World Poetry Day, both individually and as a community. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- 1. Read a Poem: Take some time to read a poem that speaks to you. It can be a classic work of literature, or something more contemporary. You might even try writing your own poem!
- Attend a Poetry Reading: Many communities host poetry readings and events to celebrate World Poetry Day. Check with your local library, bookstore, or arts center to see if there are any events happening near you.
- Share a Poem: Share a favorite poem with a friend or loved one. You could even post it on social media to share
- Sing a Poem: Sing a poem for your love ones record a video or share it on social channels like Tiktok, Instagram, twitter where they are following you to express your emotions with them.
- Attend a Cultural Event: There are many happenings on world poetry days in local cultural where you can go out and share your thoughts